Terra Nova Antarctic Sledge
The sledge is owned by Bromsgrove School and was in need of conservation for display in new heritage centre which is based on the school grounds nearby. A important object which accompanied the Antarctic expedition which took place between 1910 and 1913.
The sledge’s primary material is wood with iron supports, copper alloy pins, leather thongs and covers, and fibre rope/thread lashing the object together. Overall is was structurally fragile with new and historic damage from, pest holes and a very dirty surface .
The conservation carried out improved the stability and visual finish of the object.