Painting, oil on canvas, style of Canaletto, A View of the Rialto Bridge
A major conservation and restoration treatment of a seriously damaged and degraded painting.
Condition of the painting before treatment:
- The brittle origional canvas was tearing off the strainer along the tacking and there were also many tears and punctures
- The paint layer was extensively cupping and had very poor adhesion throughout.
- A dull, darkened and degraded varnish was disfiguring the painting.
- Paint loss had occurred mainly long tears, but there were also many small pinpoint losses throughout
Treatment carried out:
- Consolidation of the flaking paint.
- Local repair of tears and punctures with a fibre/adhesive mixture and including canvas inserts where necessary.
- Varnish removal
- Lining of the repaired, but still very brittle original canvas.
- Filling of paint loss and retouching.
- Application of new varnish.