Holy Bible 1778
This leather bound bible had been damaged during a poor attempt at restoration by an non-conservator, before entering my studio.
The text-block had been “pulled” apart and severely damaged, by a non professional and all the original sewing had already been removed before it entered my studio. Leaving each gathering severely torn and damaged by this process.
My conservation treatment
- New paper joints to each gathering were made with Japanese paper.
- The book was re-sewn on cords at the original sewing holes, evidence was used to ascertain the original sewing structure and replicate this.
- New hand sewn head and tail bands were made.
- A hollow was created over the cords to create a hollow back ( protecting the new raise bands)
- A new spine was made from hand toned leather.
- The original boards were conserved and reattached onto the book, with original end papers intact.
- A gold tooled title label was added.