Conservation of a pencil drawing of a sleeping child
A badly damaged graphite drawing was treated: the mould and discolouration were all successfully removed.
The drawing, which was damp from water ingress when brought to the Studio, was first dried, and then the superficial and recent mould growth cleaned off with a latex sponge.
The paper was separated from the acidic card backing, and then washed to reduce discolouration and acidity. This was followed by bleaching with a light bleaching lamp. The work was pressed, mounted and reframed before being returned to the client.